Mergers and Acquisitions
At Rainier Group, we believe every company has a unique story to be told. At some point in the life of your business you may be presented with an acquisition or merger opportunity. Whether you are considering an acquisition or a merger to form an entirely new business, it is an important decision that should be carefully considered. Negotiating an acquisition or merger by yourself can be complicated and you will likely have questions as to where to start, how the process works, how it affects you, your company, and your employees. There are financial, legal, and tax ramifications that must be considered with a merger and acquisition and that’s where we can help.
To maximize value, we must go beyond the numbers, approach the right buyers, and ultimately run a process that turns a nice-to- have for the buyer, into a must-have. Doing so requires experience and creativity. We have decades of experience helping business owners and their families turn an ideal outcome into reality. We do this by balancing the needs of the business with how each decision will affect the shareholders and their families, post-transaction.
Here are a few critical decisions that need to be made to ensure a successful result of a merger or acquisition:
- Is my business ready to go to market?
- When is the right time to go to market?
- What is my business worth?
- Should I sell a minority or majority interest in my business?
- Is it better to sell to a strategic or financial buyer?
- How much will I need to realize from the sale to ensure my financial security?
- What are the taxes associated with selling my business?
- How long does the process take?
- How can I ensure the process remains confidential?
- How can I protect my employees?
- Am I required to stay on after the sale?
- Would I need to market the business to multiple buyers
Selling a company is a once-in-a-lifetime event for most business owners. Having built a company over the course of decades or generations, the owner hopes to accomplish the greatest value for all the stakeholders involved. This process is far from simple and needs to be managed accordingly. We provide a full range of sell-side advisory services catered to each client’s needs. Below is a list of the driving principles we bring to each engagement:
- Provide insight on what increases value such as company positioning, growth strategy, and customer mix
- Custom design a process which maximizes value and minimizes risk for the client
- Make sure confidentiality and negotiating leverage is managed throughout every engagement
- Educate clients on the common pitfalls that can happen during the sale process
- Listen to clients, bring perspective, and manage expectations from start to finish
- Provide insight on how each critical decision will affect their personal financial security
- Be humble, integrate partners as needed to ensure the best outcome for each client and their
Acquisitions represent an essential strategy for companies in pursuit of growth. In theory, this can be a quicker path to accomplishing your strategic initiatives as opposed to growing organically. In practice, identifying the right acquisition target, conducting due diligence, negotiating terms, financing the deal, integrating systems and personnel can be very difficult. It takes careful preparation and execution. We provide a full range of buy-side advisory services to help make this process seamless. With many hurdles to growth, expansion, and the complicated landscape of mergers and acquisitions, it’s reassuring to know that Rainier group is here to help you every step of the way. Contact us today to help you through your merger or acquisition.